Brown rice fusilli in arugula, basil and almond parm sauce
with zucchini and shiitake mushroom “bacon”
Make the pasta
– Preheat the oven to 425F
– Fill a large pot with water, add salt, and the bay leaf and bring to a rolling boil. Add the fusilli and cook for 8-9 minutes, until pasta is al dente, reserve a few tablespoons of pasta water, then drain and drizzle the pasta with a little bit of olive oil and mix with the sauce.
Prepare the zucchini
– Cut the zucchini into about 1 inch match sticks
Make the shiitake mushroom “bacon”
– Wipe the mushrooms with a paper towel, discard the stems and slice the mushrooms
– Place the mushrooms on a baking sheet, season with salt and pepper, add 1-2 tablespoons of oil, lightly massage to ensure each piece is coated in seasoning, place in the oven for 15 minutes, turning once halfway.
Make the sauce
– Zest and juice the lemon into a bowl, add the almond parm, salt and pepper and 2 tablespoons of olive oil, mix well together
Cook the zucchini
– Finely chop the garlic
– Place the garlic and 1 tablespoon of oil into a cold pan and set to medium heat, cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly, then add the zucchini and cook for 5-7 minutes, until the zucchini is cooked.
Finish the pasta
– Roughly chop arugula and basil
– Mix the fusilli while it’s still warm with the sauce, basil and arugula, add a few tablespoons of pasta water if necessary. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
– Divide the fusilli between 2 plates, top with zucchini and shiitake mushroom “bacon”. Enjoy!