Mustard tempeh skewers with roasted potatoes and zucchini
with sautéed garlic spinach
Make the potatoes and zucchini and prepare the ingredients
– Preheat the oven to 425F
– Peel and cut the potato into 1 inch chunks, rinse under cold water and pat dry
– Slice the zucchini in half horizontally, then slice the 2 halves across to make 4 strips. Cut the strips into 1 inch pieces
– Slice the garlic
– Finely chop the shallot
– Place the zucchini, potatoes, most of the garlic – leaving about 2 cloves worth for the spinach, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Add the seasoning blend, 1 tablespoon of oil and season with salt and pepper. Mix everything together with your hands and place in the oven for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked.
Prepare the tempeh
– Cut the tempeh into 1 inch pieces and carefully skewer them
Sear the tempeh
– Preheat a pan over medium-high heat and once hot add 2 tablespoons of oil, add the tempeh skewers and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes without disturbing, then flip on the other side and cook for 2 minutes, continue turning the tempeh until all sides lightly brown. Take out of the pan and reserve the pan.
Make the mustard sauce
– Add the shallot to the reserved pan and a teaspoon of oil if needed, turn the heat down to medium and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly, then add the vinegar and cook for 1 minute more. Add 1 cup of water, mustard, season with salt and pepper, stir and cook for 3-4 minutes until the sauce reduces and thickens.
Finish the tempeh
– Add the tempeh skewers back into the pan and coat in the mustard sauce on all sides. Take off heat, but leave tempeh in the pan for 5 minutes, turning occasionally to absorb the sauce.
Make the spinach
– Place the remaining garlic into a cold pan, add 1 tablespoon of oil and place over medium heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the garlic just starts getting golden. Add the spinach, season with salt and pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes until it wilts, tossing around the pan.
– Divide the potatoes and zucchini, spinach and tempeh skewers between 2 plates. Spoon the mustard sauce over the skewers. Enjoy!