Skillet veggie skewers with a warm lentil salad
with walnuts, black olives and gremolata
3/4 cup eston lentils
1/4 cup walnuts
188 ml black olives
Assorted veggies in marinade – prepared by Plant Prepped
3 sprigs of mint
6 wooden skewers
1 garlic clove
Make the lentils
– Rinse the lentils then combine them with 1.5 cups of water, season with salt and place on low heat. Cover with a lid and cook for 30-35 minutes. Taste and adjust salt.
Make the skewers
– Wet the wooden skewers and carefully skewer the marinated veggies
– Preheat a pan over medium-high heat and once hot add 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the skewers and lightly season with salt. Cook in batches for about 3 minutes on each side. Do not overcrowd the pan.
Make the garnish for the lentils
– Chop the walnuts
– Chop the shallot
– Chop the black olives
– Preheat a pan over medium heat and once hot add 1-2 tablespoons of oil. Add the shallot and cook for 2 minutes, then add the walnuts and olives; season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
– Chop the mint
– Add the cooked lentils to the pan and stir everything together for 1-2 minutes. Add the mint, stir, taste and adjust seasoning if needed, take off heat.
Make the gremolata
– Chop parsley and add to a small bowl.
– Zest 1/2 a lemon, cut it in half and squeeze the juice of one half, avoiding the seeds.
– Press garlic, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt. Mix well.
– Divide the lentil salad between 2 plates and top with the veggie skewers and gremolata sauce. Enjoy!